Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Questioning Your Research

Question: How can I help motivate students to participate during classroom discussions?


Imagine you have just spent half an hour explaining your research project to an older family member. What questions might she or he ask you about your project?
What about shy students, can you expect them to participate?
What if students are afraid to answer incorrectly in front of their peers?
Is there a way to create intrinsic motivation within your students?


How would you respond to these questions?
  1. I have always been a shy student, but there have been certain classes where I felt comfortable participating. There were certain factors that affected my comfort level such as class size, student-teacher relationship, and community within the class. I’ve also been tempted to participate in class when I know that I will receive participation credit. I think there are ways to engage even the shyest of students.
  2. We all make mistakes. I’d hope that I’m able to teach my students that it is ok to make a mistake, especially when it advances your learning.
  3. I hope my research will help me understand how to help create intrinsic motivation. I’d like my students to see the importance of participating and stepping out of their comfort zone.




Imagine explaining your project to a colleague who has a very different philosophy of teaching and learning (think of a real person you know). What questions might she or he ask you about your project?
Can’t you just increase participation by calling on students?



How would you respond?
I do call on students, but I’d like students to volunteer answers. I’ve always hoped students would be willing to participate on their own. This is what has prompted me to create this action research project.




Imagine explaining your project to one of your students. What questions might she or he ask?
Why do we need to participate in class?



How would you respond?
Participating during discussions increases your learning and experience within the class. Speaking and language skills are important and classroom participation can help increase these skills. Inquiry and discourse can help prompt discovery. Additionally, I want students to be invested and engaged in the material.




Imagine explaining your project to a school board member. What questions might she or he ask?
Can the computers distract students from participating or aid them?


How would you respond?
This is also something I want to look into. Are there ways to include technology within discussions or am I better off asking students to put their computers away?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Memo 9

      Keep Calm and Speak On: A Closer Look at the Strategies that Incite Student Participation at the Secondary Level At this poin...